All About ISI


ISI for mineral water plantIf you decide to sell Packaged Drinking Water [Mineral Water] in Bottles, Jars, Pouches; then it is mandatory to get ISI License issued by the BIS.

The standard for Packaged Drinking Water is : IS 14543

There are many procedures to be observed under the BIS. Whereas , you can refer the following Frequently Asked Questions:

(The Content has been taken from Site India Water portal & the Queries question answers have been supplied by Suresh Allu of Avirodha Consulting Services.)

Q :- Is Bottled Water market in India is regulated?

A :- Yes, it is compulsory for all the manufacturers who intend to set up the processing unit, to obtain the ISI mark from Bureau of India Standards.

Q :- Can one apply for the ISI mark and commence the production?

A :- No. Unless the inspection is done by the staff, tests carried out in an independent lab and official confirmation and license number is obtained, unit can’t commence commercial production.

Q :- Is in-house lab compulsory?

A :- Yes, such Lab should be equipped to carry out all physical, chemical and micro biological tests prescribed as per IS : 3025, and has to be conducted by expert chemist / micro biologist.

Q :- What are the categories of bottled water in India ?

A :- Only Two. Packaged Natural Mineral Water governed under IS: 13428 and Packaged Drinking Water governed under. IS: 14543

Q :- What is the basic difference between Natural Mineral Water and Packaged Drinking Water?

A :- If the water is drawn from natural source, confirms to composition listed under IS: 13428, and is bottled WITHOUT ALTERING the composition, falls under Natural Mineral Water. In packaged drinking water, any of the processes of filtration / disinfection listed under IS: 14543 can be utilized, altering the composition of subject water & finally, bottling it. After employing processes listed under IS: 14543, my water composition confirms to Natural Mineral Water specifications. Which category my water would fall in? IS: 14543


A :- Bureau of Indian standards, during their routine / sudden inspection of the unit, may find irregularities in connection with composition, hygienic conditions, filling procedures etc. It may issue an order revoking the license temporarily, signifying stopping the production and usage of ISI mark on the product. The license is restored after satisfactory compliance of conditions.

Q :- What are the pre requisites of putting an ISI complying unit?

A :- The standards published for bottled water [both categories] clearly mention the filtration processes, hygienic conditions, lighting, labeling regulation etc. It also list the relevant testing standards [IS 3025] required for methods of testing.

Q :- What is BIS, ISI and PFA?

A :- BIS: Bureau of Indian standards is a premier organization engaged in setting standards for various products and services. ISI: Indian Standard Institution is the former name of BIS but till date ISI is the MARK given by this organization. PFA: Governed under Prevention of Food Adulteration Act 1954, this agency safeguards the interests of the consumers through constant check on the food and beverage sector.

Q :- Can one mention composition of water if the brand falls under the category of IS: 14543?

A :- No. Since it involves altering the composition of source water and it is at times, difficult to maintain the same, furnishing of such composition is not allowed.

Q :- Are there any standard volumes of water prescribed?

A :- Yes. As per notification issued by the ministry of consumer affairs on Feb28, 2001, amending Standards of weights and Measures [Packaged Commodities] Rules 1977, it is mandatory now for bottled water to be sold only in prescribed standard. These are 100 ml / 150 ml / 200 ml / 250 ml / 300 ml / 330ml [ only in cans ], 500ml / 750 ml / 1 liter / 1.5 liter / 2,3,4,5 liters and thereafter , in multiples of 5 liters.

Q :- What is CGWA?

A :- Under Ministry of Water Resources, Central Ground Water Authority [CGWA] regulates the use of ground water. Under power conferred to them under section 5 of Environment [protection] Act, 1986, CGWA has directed all processing units of bottled water to get their bore well registered with them. The same has to be applied under prescribed Performa.

Q :- Which central agency’s certification is necessary for commencing fruit juice / soft drink?

A :- It is mandatory to obtain FPO mark, under FRUIT PRODUCTS ORDER 1955, and comes under ministry of food processing industry. Now the FPO has gone & a new mark has come called : F.S.S.A.I.

Q :- Is it necessary to obtain BIS or FPO for manufacturing aerated water?

A :- No, currently these certificates are not applicable.

Q :- Is it permissible to run a soft drink unit and bottled water unit from same premises ?

A :- No. Since ingredients to be utilized in soft drink [sugar and flavor] are likely to contaminate surrounding and equipment, it is neither advisable nor permissible to operate the same units at one place.

Q :- What action is likely if product – bottled water or soft drink fails the permitted parameters?

A :- The action under PFA Act 1954 may be invoked and may result in stop marking for bottled water, invariably leading to temporary closure of unit. Soft drink unit may also fact closure owing to such slip-up.

[The Content has been taken from Site India Water portal & the Queries question answers have been supplied by Suresh Allu of Avirodha Consulting Services.] Here are their contact details :-

Suresh Allu. [Hyderabad]
+91 94911 03999.

496 comments on “All About ISI

  1. I don’t have RO plant. But i want to start supplying packaged drinking water specially packaged for clients (Resorts, events, marriage parties, etc..) For this i need your help in knowing what sort of documents and license required and can i use my name for that(My own branding) Will procure water form some other packaged drinking water company who is having fully equipped plant. Do i need to put his name any where on the label.? or any license to be taken.?

    1. Dear Chirag,

      Thanks for a detailed query. Let me give you a step by step answer to that :-

      What we call this is using a Third Party Service. You can absolutely do this ; The manufacturer needs to have proper B.I.S. License with him, which gives ISI. But otherwise it’s a simple documentation process. We help you getting that , with our team. Please write to or setup an appointment to discuss in person.

  2. Hello sir,

    We are planning to start a personalised 300ml mineral water bottle business. After few enquiries I found out that we just cannot use our name on the bottle cos it is not registered. What are the neccesary things that has to be on the sticker?
    Can we use our clients name every time they order?

  3. Hello sir

    I want to start non isi mineral water plant in gurgaon or surroundings

    For supply of 20 Ltd jars and 15 litres cold water camper s in market

    I have my own agricultural land and tubewell/ bore well with 3 phase electricity connection

    Please suggest what are the licence I would required to start above plant

    Is it possible to setup mineral water plant on my village agriculture land with above conditions kindly suggest

    If than what are the formalities / licences I have to complete /obtain for the same

  4. i want to start my mineral water packging plant in 1 lit,500ml and 250ml in bottal,250ml pouche but i have not my mineral water so can i contract with some plant owner who have mineral water plant and can i use them water for packging and also to get my ownership isi mark.

  5. Dear Sir,
    Could you please let me know if I can market the Packaged Drinking Water Pouch (200 ml) & bottle by obtaining the FSSAI license or it is mandatory to obtain ISI.

    1. sir am setting a mineral water plant. now i want to know how to apply for ISI and what is its fee and how to apply online. Some of my friends telling me they take lot of money when they visited.

  6. Sir, I have developed a new method of water cleansing technique with the help of traditional methods which licence should i get to sell my product? Is my product comes under FSSAI or ISI or any other mark?

    1. Sorry I forgot to add that this method only composed of chemicals which is non- injurious to health tested by lab. So which licence should I get for the product ?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *