All About ISI

ISI for mineral water plantIf you decide to sell Packaged Drinking Water [Mineral Water] in Bottles, Jars, Pouches; then it is mandatory to get ISI License issued by the BIS.

The standard for Packaged Drinking Water is : IS 14543

There are many procedures to be observed under the BIS. Whereas , you can refer the following Frequently Asked Questions:

(The Content has been taken from Site India Water portal & the Queries question answers have been supplied by Suresh Allu of Avirodha Consulting Services.)

Q :- Is Bottled Water market in India is regulated?

A :- Yes, it is compulsory for all the manufacturers who intend to set up the processing unit, to obtain the ISI mark from Bureau of India Standards.

Q :- Can one apply for the ISI mark and commence the production?

A :- No. Unless the inspection is done by the staff, tests carried out in an independent lab and official confirmation and license number is obtained, unit can’t commence commercial production.


Q :- Is in-house lab compulsory?

A :- Yes, such Lab should be equipped to carry out all physical, chemical and micro biological tests prescribed as per IS : 3025, and has to be conducted by expert chemist / micro biologist.

Q :- What are the categories of bottled water in India ?

A :- Only Two. Packaged Natural Mineral Water governed under IS: 13428 and Packaged Drinking Water governed under. IS: 14543

Q :- What is the basic difference between Natural Mineral Water and Packaged Drinking Water?

A :- If the water is drawn from natural source, confirms to composition listed under IS: 13428, and is bottled WITHOUT ALTERING the composition, falls under Natural Mineral Water. In packaged drinking water, any of the processes of filtration / disinfection listed under IS: 14543 can be utilized, altering the composition of subject water & finally, bottling it. After employing processes listed under IS: 14543, my water composition confirms to Natural Mineral Water specifications. Which category my water would fall in? IS: 14543


A :- Bureau of Indian standards, during their routine / sudden inspection of the unit, may find irregularities in connection with composition, hygienic conditions, filling procedures etc. It may issue an order revoking the license temporarily, signifying stopping the production and usage of ISI mark on the product. The license is restored after satisfactory compliance of conditions.

Q :- What are the pre requisites of putting an ISI complying unit?

A :- The standards published for bottled water [both categories] clearly mention the filtration processes, hygienic conditions, lighting, labeling regulation etc. It also list the relevant testing standards [IS 3025] required for methods of testing.

Q :- What is BIS, ISI and PFA?

A :- BIS: Bureau of Indian standards is a premier organization engaged in setting standards for various products and services. ISI: Indian Standard Institution is the former name of BIS but till date ISI is the MARK given by this organization. PFA: Governed under Prevention of Food Adulteration Act 1954, this agency safeguards the interests of the consumers through constant check on the food and beverage sector.

Q :- Can one mention composition of water if the brand falls under the category of IS: 14543?

A :- No. Since it involves altering the composition of source water and it is at times, difficult to maintain the same, furnishing of such composition is not allowed.

Q :- Are there any standard volumes of water prescribed?

A :- Yes. As per notification issued by the ministry of consumer affairs on Feb28, 2001, amending Standards of weights and Measures [Packaged Commodities] Rules 1977, it is mandatory now for bottled water to be sold only in prescribed standard. These are 100 ml / 150 ml / 200 ml / 250 ml / 300 ml / 330ml [ only in cans ], 500ml / 750 ml / 1 liter / 1.5 liter / 2,3,4,5 liters and thereafter , in multiples of 5 liters.

Q :- What is CGWA?

A :- Under Ministry of Water Resources, Central Ground Water Authority [CGWA] regulates the use of ground water. Under power conferred to them under section 5 of Environment [protection] Act, 1986, CGWA has directed all processing units of bottled water to get their bore well registered with them. The same has to be applied under prescribed Performa.

Q :- Which central agency’s certification is necessary for commencing fruit juice / soft drink?

A :- It is mandatory to obtain FPO mark, under FRUIT PRODUCTS ORDER 1955, and comes under ministry of food processing industry. Now the FPO has gone & a new mark has come called : F.S.S.A.I.

Q :- Is it necessary to obtain BIS or FPO for manufacturing aerated water?

A :- No, currently these certificates are not applicable.

Q :- Is it permissible to run a soft drink unit and bottled water unit from same premises ?

A :- No. Since ingredients to be utilized in soft drink [sugar and flavor] are likely to contaminate surrounding and equipment, it is neither advisable nor permissible to operate the same units at one place.

Q :- What action is likely if product – bottled water or soft drink fails the permitted parameters?

A :- The action under PFA Act 1954 may be invoked and may result in stop marking for bottled water, invariably leading to temporary closure of unit. Soft drink unit may also fact closure owing to such slip-up.

[The Content has been taken from Site India Water portal & the Queries question answers have been supplied by Suresh Allu of Avirodha Consulting Services.] Here are their contact details :-

Suresh Allu. [Hyderabad]
+91 94911 03999.

290 comments on “All About ISI

  1. Hi, We are currently selling Packaged Drinking water under IS 14543. We are asked to do contract manufacturing to one brand for coffee shop. Can we package the product with our water and their logo where we mention Manufactured under “M/s my company Ltd.”???
    Is it possible? if not! what is the right procedure? please shed some light. Thanks for replying in advance.

  2. Sir i want start a 1000 ltr water purified colling plant what are the best top brand machinery i should purchase.

  3. hello sir i m interested in opening a pouch water business in jharkhand.. can you guild what are the condition to open .. means related to affilation and all.. please guild me the total cost to.. is it necessary to get affliation.. because i heard regarding 20 litrs jars not such norms are jharkhand

  4. Sir,
    I am from haldia, west bengal. I want start my own business packeged drinking water production and bottle making machine togather, 1.Is there any law for it ?
    2.How will I get ISI certification?
    3. What are the required documents?

  5. Sir, I want to start a package drinking (pouch & 20ltr jar)water business in my local area. Which documents are required for this?

  6. Dear sir,
    I am from Karnataka, living in hyderabad. Question is behalf of one of my friend who willing to put drinking water unit in karnataka. What is address of the office which offers ISI certificate in hyderabad.?
    Can’t he get the ISI certificate in Bangalore?

  7. hello sir…

    we just start the filter water supply in local area ..

    we are thinking to expand our business….

    sir we are thinking to start selling of 20 litter can (that fits on cooler machines)

    sir for this did we need any certification….


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *